Translate

пятница, 5 октября 2018 г.

How to switch Icom IC-706 and PA simultaneously

Some time ago I had to learn how to switch the PA when transmitting on my Icom IC-706MKIIG. Visual observation of the RIG gave nothing - there is no dedicated socket there on the device. I spend some time examining the User Manual and realized that there is an ability to do this using the CI/V cable. But this works only with the PA by Icom. Then I went to the Internet and start looking here and there.



Most of the questions are how to manage to switch of the Icom itself using either CAT interface or foot-switch. Fortunately, my Icom is connected to the PC via CAT interface so that I start looking in this direction.

The interface I'm using for CAT is the one developed by S56AL.


Next step was how to use it to switch the amplifier. The simplest solution is to use the relay which is being managed by the PTT signal the interface sends to the Icom. I already have had the module containing the solid-state relay. It is small and powerful. And it requires only 5 volts and standard TTL signals.



I decided I need only 3 wires: GND, +5V, and management signal. Wiring is simple: GND and +5V were taken from the USB socket, the third wire was connected to the PTT.


Fail. The relay didn't work. I measured the voltage there on the PTT pin and was surprised when realized something about +48 volts. Too strange. Also, I realized that this module has transistor switching the relay. This should work with TTL-leveled signals and won't work in this case. I have retired the module and start looking for alternatives. As I remember, there are modules having optocoupler instead of transistors. I have ordered one- and two-channel modules. Unfortunately, one-channel modules have transistors too. My bad.


Fortunately, the two-channel modules have optocouplers and I have applied these very modules. I soldered wires directly to the optocoupler.


Below is a piece of the schematic diagram of the interface. The pin7 is the PTT output. Two other red arrows to the left are places I have soldered the relay module to. I just need four wires, 30 minutes for soldering, assembling, and isolating. And voila, everything works properly!


At the moment of writing, I had no appropriate housing for the relay module so that it resides nearby the interface. I have to create the 3D model of the housing, print it out and then make everything beautiful.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий