Translate

среда, 29 августа 2018 г.

Chasing satellites. Part 1.

Last winter I discovered a very nice activity: chasing the radio amateur satellites. I built the handheld antenna (open sleeve, 144+430 MHz on the single boom and being fed by the single cable), attached it to my handheld radio Wouxun KG-UV6D, and started listening to satellites and, quite later, transmitting. That was amazing! I loved this activity very much. It's an unforgettable feeling when you stay in the middle of the field covered by snow, hold the antenna in your frozen hand and try to not forget the callsign of the station just called you.



The schema I used for building the antenna was taken from the Internet: you can use the same schematic and know it works. As seen in the picture, the author is José de Jesus Moura Costa, PS8ET. At the moment this antenna is owned by Dmytro Mariyevskyy, UT4UMZ.



I have done about a dozen QSOs and postponed further attempts until the new setup is ready. Now the summer is almost over, I have got some spare time, and now it's time to continue building the setup I have dreamed about.

The mentioned handheld radio has a very nice superheterodyne receiver and only 4 watts of power. This allowed me to conduct simple QSO on SO50 satellite. I even had a couple of QSOs on AO-91 and AO92 satellites, but that was rather accidental luck.

Recently I have bought a couple of nice mobile radios by Icom: IC-F111 and IC-F211 (144 and 433 MHz respectively). Both radios have superheterodyne receivers and 45 watts abroad (switchable among 10, 25 and 45 watts). I believe this is pretty enough for conducting the successful QSO on every satellite I know.

At the moment I have both radios cleaned out of the mud their previous owners collected on the radios so thoroughly, prepared my cross-polarized antenna (6 elements for 433 and 3 elements for 144 MHz) having separate cables for each band, and prepared the channels list I have to submit to the radios.

The first try will be right today when the SO50, the easiest satellite, will do its pass over my head. Not sure I could conduct the QSO, but I hope I could at least hear somebody there.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий